Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Yes, there is a life after a chronic illness diagnosis

Welcome to my blog! I've wanted to begin writing about living with a chronic health condition for a while and blogspot will be my home for venting, sharing info, support, and much more. Here's some info about me: I've lived 35 or so years of my 52 year life with kidney dis-ease. From the time I was first diagnosed with renal failure at age 15 to now, where my third kidney transplant will be 19 on August 16, 2009. That's right...bring out the birthday cake. I won't just be writing about kidney dis-ease, but about living with any chronic health condition. I will share with yo what I've learned along the way about caring for myself, dealing with the healthcare system, alternative medicine, do's and don'ts and much more. I invite you to share your stories, lessons learned and anything else you feel is relevant to living with a chronic health condition. I don't claim to be an expert, only a woman who has traveled the sometimes lonely and crazy-making road of living with an ongoing health condition. Also know, that I will include some humor, because if you don't have that...well, the road will be more difficult at times.

Let me first share some of the lessons I've learned along the way:

  • Move your body even if you're sitting in a chair...move it.
  • Don't look down the road too far.
  • I live by the saying one day, one minute, one hour at a time.
  • Remember to breathe
  • Ask questions,
  • Educate yourself about your condition
  • Don't let doctors intimidate you
  • Most importantly, keep your wit in tact...it will save you when a pill can't.
  • Don't be afraid to reach out, find a support system and read, read, read!
  • Know side effects of medications.
  • Have a creative outlet and take a break from the craziness.
  • Oh yes, and be kind to yourself, your body, your spirit & mind...it needs you.

Hang in there, be strong, and know that this too shall pass.

Be well in body, mind & spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment